Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Celebrity meets the artist at Shojin!

Hello CafeMode Blog readers,

This Jessica Vliet making a first time post on this blog. I am the artist of Don't Look at the Sun in the Earthworks 03 show.



Funny story about that, actually. Last Sunday two friends and I met at Shojin for lunch and art-gazing. We got a table next the window and to the left of my piece. During our lunch we realized that the woman at the next table, across from my art, was Alicia Silverstone!



Seeing her at Shojin, a vegan Japanese restuarant, she must practice what she preaches. Good for her! Celebrities wear a "Don't say anything!" face in public among the non-famous, so we played by the unspoken LA rule of pretending not to notice the famous person. Suddenly our forced distance from the Alicia was broken by Tsuguhiro, Shojin's hyper-friendly head chef. I met him the last time I was at Shojin with another friend and he found out that I was the artist of Don't Look at the Sun. He was very excited about my piece and zipped around like a friendly,busy bee. That was a bit of backstory, now to the story at hand; Tsuguhiro went over to Alicia's table and showed her my piece, right behind her, and then pointed out that I was the artist sitting at the next table. I was a little lost in the amazing/absurd situation that was unfolding so I don't remember exactly what Alicia said but I'm pretty sure she said my piece was good and she liked it. The older gentleman whom Alicia was with, we assumed he was her father, went over to have a closer look at my piece. I noticed him touch one of the layers realizing on closer inspection my piece is 3-dimensional and not flat. It was the first time I've watch a stranger react to my piece. Apparently my piece begs to be touched in order to be believed real!

But I digress, I was very flattered to hear that Alicia Silverstone and her dad(?) liked my piece and that the employees of Shojin point out the artwork to the customers. The cherry on top of the whole situation was that Tsuguhiro probably had no idea that the customer he was talking with is famous! Irony and absurdity only found in Los Angeles. Look for the situation in future artwork. Thank you Alicia Silverstone for making my Sunday. I loved you in Clueless.

www.aliciasilverstone.org
www.theshojin.com
www.jessicav.com

No comments: